Header

Header

Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Potential Coverart

I'm supposed to be studying for an exam I have on Thursdays, but unfortunately I decided a coffee shop next to a bunch of chatty cathys is the best place to do this.

Word of the day? Fail.

So instead I am going to share with you guys the brilliant work of my potential cover artist, Gretchen Byers. I say potential cover artist because I can't very well guarantee that if I get published she will end up on the covers of my books. But damn, do I hope she will. Her work is absolutely brilliant and depicts Ariana and Zelene so well it makes me teary-eyed. So if I self-publish (or go with a small press willing to let me have input on the cover art), she will definitely represent the books.

The following are just my absolute favorites of the images she has sent me. They are not on her deviantart account and not for use by anyone else without mine or Gretchen's express permission. But feel free to ask her about her other work. In fact, I encourage it!




 I absolutely love this shot. I'm a big fan of all of the sword shots (which is why I've included them all) but this one gives me goosebumps! Read on to see the rest....







 This is another favorite. I could just see the city in the background, or maybe a battle. I don't know but it's definitely another one that gets me giddy!









 I love this shot too of Ariana by the portal that leads between worlds. Throw in some leaves swirling around and it would be spot on from my head! And this was done before Gretchen had read the book! See? She's amazing!






I love the twin shots, too. Though those would probably work better for book 2. This last one was also done before she'd read the book, but the feel behind it is so close to the push and pull of the girls in book 2. I love the idea of the flames around their hands too (book 2 is tentatively titled Crown of Fire, after all).

There's just one small problem with all of these shots, and I'm wondering if you guys can see it too...

How in the hell am I going to choose if it is left up to me? 





4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm a sucker for fog/mist/smoke, so I like the third one (also I prefer the profile, she looks very active/determined and absorbed in her own world, vs. trying to seduce the viewer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the third one too because there is a sense of action to it. I love them all, obviously, but that one has a real movie poster feel!

      Delete
  2. I like the top one best, but they are all awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of determination on her face. It is so fitting for Ariana!

      Delete