Header

Header

Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Weekend Wrap Up: My Review of KIYA: Mother of a King by Katie Hamstead


KIYA: Mother of a King by Katie Hamstead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the problem with starting a really good book: You can't put it down and finish it within the span of two days.

KIYA: Mother of a King was everything Hope of the Pharaoh was and more. Katie Hamstead really took everything up a notch, especially the tension as Tut took his place as pharaoh and the love triangle from book one came to a head. There were times I wanted to slap both Malachi and Horemheb.

I love that we get to see that Naomi's strength--her heart--is also her biggest weakness in this book. She's compassionate and loving, and it is hard for her not to show love to those she holds dear, even when it means putting her morals on the line.

Queen Kiya and Naomi are supposed to be two separate people, but it seems like we are getting to see more and more of how much the two have in common, even if it easier for others (and sometimes Naomi herself) to view them as different people. Kiya is clever and charismatic, to the point of being able to seduce anyone in the room just with her presence, but we get to see how those traits were there with Naomi as well when the annual festival comes around.

New foes are introduced, and surprising new friends. Kiya had a big impact on Nefertiti's daughters in a very contrasting way. One wishes to be more like her while the other hates her almost as much as Nefertiti does. The differences are very refreshing and it is nice to see how someone can be raised to hate someone and up idolizing them instead.

This book is full of intrigue and action, while balancing it out with romance and the every day heartbreaks and joys of family life. I'm sad that the next book will be the end, but I'm excited about what comes next.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mara! I love, love, love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Love you too! And your books!! =D I can't wait for three, even though I'll be sad that it's over.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry, I already have another series signed for release afterward. ;-)

      Delete
    3. You always know the right thing to say to make me feel better. =D

      Delete